There are 7 most common questions about the application of ECOSTERN.
1. Why is it essential to manage the decomposition of plant residues?
Left the crop residues on the land for the following decomposition is suitable for improving soil quality and farming. For this practice, applying the biopreparation ECOSTERN developed for the decomposition of after-harvesting residues of crops is crucial. ECOSTERN contains valuable microorganisms, including the N-fixing bacteria.
Just ploughing the plant residues into the soil without necessary control can cause many problems for the farmer.
First, it concerns straw, which has a very long period of decomposition in the soil - 0.5-1.5 years. The increase in the decomposition period of organic mass contributes to nitrogen deficiency in the soil (microorganisms for destruction use soil reserves), increases the accumulation of toxic substances and pathogens in the soil, and limits plant access to the elements of nutrition accumulated in the organic matter.
2. Why do I have to apply the ECOSTERN if I can just use a nitrogen fertiliser?
If you apply only nitrogen fertilisers, the crop residues become a place where will develop all native microflora, including pathogenic. N-fertilizers activate everything indiscriminately - pathogens, fusarium, rot, mould, etc. When we apply ECOSTERN, we repopulate the soil with saprophytes, agronomically valuable microorganisms (bacteria, fungi) and products of their vital functions, the use of which allows manage and accelerate the decomposition of plant residues and restore the health of soil
3. Can I use just ECOSTERN without nitrogen fertiliser?
First, we would like to emphasise that Nitrogen is an essential element for decomposition. Microorganisms use Nitrogen to decompose the plants' residues. If you don't apply the Nitrogen fertiliser, microorganisms will use Nitrogen, which is available in the soil. Later they will start to fix necessary Nitrogen from the air. In this case, when you apply just a biopreparation ECOSTERN, the soil will be provided with valuable microorganisms, which decompose crop residues, enhance the organic matter and improve soil health. Still, the process will take more time than with applying a necessary Nitrogen fertiliser rate.
We recommend applying ECOSTERN with microbial preparations Azotohelp containing N-fixing bacteria Azotobacter chroococcum. In this case, Azotobacter will provide the enhancement of soil with Nitrogen. Also, please remember that the microorganisms use a lot of nitrogen to decomposition of plant residues, so if you have not applied nitrogen fertilizer together with ECOSTERN, we recommend to apply it into the soil before sowing next crop.
And, suppose you continue to have doubts about choosing Biodestructor or N-fertilizer. In that case, we recommend using ECOSTERN because it will recover the soil with beneficial microorganisms and reduce the toxic level of the soil.
4. Can the destructor be used together with liquid fertilisers?
- Yes, it is possible. Usually a short-time staying (2-6 h) in a tank mixture doesn’t has harmful effect on microorganisms, so we recommend using such mixtures for several hours after mixing. The viability of microorganisms doesn't reduce significantly if the fertiliser is diluted with water. However, that to be sure, we recommend making a compatibility test in the laboratory.
5. Why do I have to use a destructor if I can use organic fertilisers like manure and dung? It's the same organic matter!
- Very often, organic fertilisers contain toxins and pathogens, especially fresh ones. But, on the other hand, it's a great source of organic matter. Still, composting is mandatory for its application. It will reduce the harmful microflora contained in the manure with animal faeces and plant debris. The better way is an application of ECOSTERN together with organic fertilisers. Microorganisms will provide a healthier condition for organics and accelerate the decomposition of residues, which are the central place of accumulation of pathogenic soil microflora. The use of the ECOSTERN destructor in many farms has significantly recovered soil health, even with monoculture.
6. Will the destructor work at high temperatures and with a lack of moisture?
- All microorganisms, including those contained in the ECOSTERN, have particular adaptations for survival under unfavourable conditions, often termed quiescence or dormancy. Some microorganisms form spores - the form is surrounded by thick membranes which protect the living cell from high and low temperatures, ultraviolet light, pH changes and some chemicals. In spore form, microorganisms can survive for decades. Other types of bacteria can form cysts. They are less resistant than spores but still allow the microorganisms to stay under the influence of negative factors for several months to more than half a year. Most importantly that during the stage of dormancy, the microorganisms stop taking in nutrients, and their metabolism slows considerably.
When they are exposed to normal conditions, the outer shell of the dormant form (spores or cysts) is destroyed, the cell comes out, and the feeding processes are activated - the microorganisms begin to live a normal life.
Consequently, the microorganisms included in the ECOSTERN destructor are in spore form. Therefore, they do not die under unfavourable conditions but wait for the optimal conditions to come out of dormancy.
7. How can I be sure that ECOSTERN has worked?
- One of the visual signs that the destructor is working is that the plant residues in the soil decompose more intensively than usual - they become "decrepit" and brittle (this is visible in corn residues). In addition, colonies of microorganisms are visible on their surface. The other variant to ensure the work of ECOSTERN is a mycological analysis of soil where ECOSTERN was applied. In this case, you can see the content of beneficial microorganisms. With the long-term systematic application of ECOSTERN, soil structure and crumbling improvement will be observed. And, of course, the yield of the next crop - will be at least 10-15% higher than on a similar variant without ECOSTERN.