Mycorrhiza that multiplies the root system strength
On the French Field Day at Olha LLC in Vinnytsia region BTU-CENTER presented the field efficiency if its already known mycorrhizal product Mycofriend® in its new form – dry (peat).
Not on paper, but visually one could see the positive effect of product on the French hybrids of sunflower, soybean and corn. We asked Yevhen Kozhukhar, Head of the BTU-CENTER Representative Office in the Western region, about this novelty and its benefits.
– The product is intended for the treatment of seeds of grains, legumes, technical, vegetable and garden crops. It contributes to the active settlement of the root and root zone by mycorrhizal fungi and saprophytic rhizospheric bacteria, which form a coexistence symbiosis with a plant, increasing its root system absorption by tens, hundreds, and according to some studies, by up to thousands of times. It is available in liquid form - and in dry, peat form for over half a year. The latter, in addition to being convenient (it can be easily applied to the seeds or seed drill before sowing), is even more beneficial for living microorganisms. Fungi and microorganisms in the tank mixture with the digesters can slightly reduce their efficiency and vital activity in general. However placed in the peat, they feel in a natural and friendly environment. However, both forms are used, both are efficient.
– What kind of fungi, bacteria and microorganisms are included in the product?
– These are primarily mycorrhizal fungi - Glomus VS, Trichoderma Harzianum; microorganisms that support the formation of mycorrhizae and rhizosphere of plants - Streptomyces sp., Pseudomonas Fluorescens, and phosphate-mobilizing bacteria - Bacillius Megaterium var. phosphaticum, Bacillus Subtilis, Bacillus Muciloginosus, Enterobacter sp. In addition, this composition is enhanced by a special nutrient "ration" for these microorganisms for a certain time - biologically active substances: phytohormones, vitamins, amino acids, etc. The whole complex has a very high concentration - the total number of viable cells (11.5) x108 CFU/ml.
The product has two action areas - the mycorrhiza formation and fungicidal and bactericidal protection of seeds from numerous pathogens and removal of stress from the root system. Better branching, formation of millions of root fibrillas - the rhizosphere, which creates an underground "crown" of plants, through which they are better provided with nutrients, which affects better absorption and use of micro, macro and mesoelements from soil (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, first of all, calcium). However, most importantly, Glomus VS fungi are able to attract and accumulate by means of roots and give the plant moisture, in addition to nutrition. It is a symbiosis of the fungus and the plant, a pleasant and equal coexistence, no one takes anything from anyone: mycorrhiza promotes the development of a strong root system, and the plant photosynthesizes solar energy and transmits it to the fungus by this root and aerial part.
At the same time, populated fungi and bacteria produce natural antibiotics and inhibit the development of pathogens of many diseases, especially root and near-root rot. As well such pathogens as Fusarium, Phytophthora, Alternaria, bacteriosis, which are also found in the soil.
– Fungicidal disinfectants disinfect seeds from fungal and other infections. And your Glomus and Trichoderma are fungi too. The active substance of the fungicide cannot distinguish of the fungus is useful or not. Do they kill mycorrhizal fungi in tank mixtures?
- There are some precautions regarding this. The most important thing is to reduce the time our product is in the mixture before sowing. That is, when preparing the mixture, it should be introduced not just the last one, but immediately before sowing. Seed treatment is carried out a week, two or even a month before sowing, it is undesirable for our product to be in contact with living microorganisms in an aggressive environment for such a long time. Our product must be applied as close as possible to the time of sowing - the working solution of liquid biological product is prepared on the day of treatment, if necessary stored in a cool dark place for no more than four hours. Only then the product concentration will be sufficient for the microorganisms to perform their proper functions. Often the disinfectant and Mycofriend® complement each other. It all depends on the type of active chemical ingredient of the disinfectant. Let's say an active substance, such as thiram, is known to suppress living microorganisms more strongly. This is an unwanted component of joint disinfection. However, it should be remembered that at the initial stage microorganisms in our product are in a state of anabiosis, that is, dormant, and in this inactive state they are less suppressed by chemical reagent.
– What cultures do you propose to use with Mycofriend® on? Are there cultures where mycorrhiza is not formed?
– We recommend Mycofriend® for a wide range of field (grain, leguminous, technical), vegetable and garden crops. We conducted experiments on demo land plots at Olga LLC on corn, sunflower and soybeans. The product application rate depends on the culture. These are small treatment rates, for example, for soybeans - 1.5 kg/t of seeds, corn - 4¬5 kg/t, sunflower - 6 kg/t. With regard to cultures that are unable to form symbiosis with fungi, it is still known that such ability is not found in crucifers. In rapeseed, for example, in other Brassicaceae.
I would like to add about one agrarians’ prejudice. Some people think that mycorrhiza is only suitable for better soils with more moisture. Yes, on the black earth it will certainly develop well. Stronger than on sand. However, in fact it can develop on rubble. If you provide nutrients. However, in arid regions, mycorrhiza is even more efficient! After all, it helps to find and extract moisture from the lower layers.
– However, it is really difficult to measure the efficiency of a biological product. After all, the action is complex …
–It's true that it’s quite difficult. However, there is little doubt that the use of these products significantly promotes better development. The treated seeds have better germination, higher germination energy, seedlings and young plants are rooted much better. The seedling in the initial stages draws all the energy only from the seed, and the sooner and more comprehensively nutrition is provided to the plant outside the seed, the faster and better it will develop in the future. The plant grows better, forms seeds better, the protein or oil content increases. Ultimately, it increases crop yields and increases profitability. Sometimes by 10-15% and even by all 30%.
– Is Mycofriend® relevant for garden and vegetable crops?
– Consumers buy the product for garden and vegetable crops very well. Especially those who have drip irrigation. For them it is highly important, trees and bushes are extremely strongly responsive to mycorrhiza. We have a large number of experiments on both annual and perennial garden crops. However, the use of product for grains and technical crops is now increasing. Oddly enough, it was facilitated by imported biological analogues that flooded our market. They have demonstrated good performance. However, having tried the products of domestic production, agrarians were convinced that they are no less efficient. However, we have a completely different price and this is our advantage.
Both holdings and medium-sized enterprises and very small businesses are now actively interested in Mycofriend®. People are looking for new tools to improve their results and reduce the cost of harvest formation. Our product is an efficient novelty of this kind of action. In addition, for organic farms our products are simply irreplaceable.